News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Irregular Menstrual Cycle / lower abdominal pain, backache

Kay66 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:23 pm

I’m a 43 year old female and for the last 6 months or so I have had very irregular periods that start for a day then is gone for three or four and then back very heavy for a couple of days and recently I have began to bleed after intercourse. I also have lower abdominal pain and what appears to be a slightly swollen lymph node in the groin area along with an area on the right side of my abdomen across from belly button that feels hard and knotty like a bunch of ropes. I have been experiencing trouble having bowl movements very constipated feels like I did not complete bowl movement and the straining cause slight bleeding from the vagina. I also seem to be slightly more fatigued and get winded easily. I have also been waking up sweaty but not drenched back of hair will be damp and shirt I am of normal height and weight and lead a healthy lifestyle.

I do have an annual GYN appointment scheduled but when I have complained of the irregular periods and heavy bleeding the suggestion is always to have a hysterectomy with no explanation for problem. It has been noted during my Tubal that I have endometrial hyperplasia in which they performed a D&C but that was over 10 years ago. Is this pre-menopause?

Any direction or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your symptoms could definitely be part of perimenopause. However, hysterectomy is not your only option in absence of tumors or cancerous cells. I would always seek a second opinion as hysterectomies are performed unnecessarily in many cases. There are other options for treating excessive bleeding such as uterine lining ablation which can help a lot. Hormonal therapy can help but chances are the hot flashes will resolve in time as your body adjusts and you don't necessarily need to take hormones the rest of your life to feel just fine. Some people need them; others don't.

In many women the symptoms are greater prior to menopause than they are once menstruation has completely ceased. I would want to know all my options before undergoing that type of surgery and it's worth it to try other treatments. Hysterectomy is a popular income producer for surgeons so make sure your doctor has your health foremost in his/her treatment plan.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here