Question: Irregular Menstrual Cycle / lower abdominal pain, backache

Kay66 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:23 pm

I’m a 43 year old female and for the last 6 months or so I have had very irregular periods that start for a day then is gone for three or four and then back very heavy for a couple of days and recently I have began to bleed after intercourse. I also have lower abdominal pain and what appears to be a slightly swollen lymph node in the groin area along with an area on the right side of my abdomen across from belly button that feels hard and knotty like a bunch of ropes. I have been experiencing trouble having bowl movements very constipated feels like I did not complete bowl movement and the straining cause slight bleeding from the vagina. I also seem to be slightly more fatigued and get winded easily. I have also been waking up sweaty but not drenched back of hair will be damp and shirt I am of normal height and weight and lead a healthy lifestyle.

I do have an annual GYN appointment scheduled but when I have complained of the irregular periods and heavy bleeding the suggestion is always to have a hysterectomy with no explanation for problem. It has been noted during my Tubal that I have endometrial hyperplasia in which they performed a D&C but that was over 10 years ago. Is this pre-menopause?

Any direction or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Your symptoms could definitely be part of perimenopause. However, hysterectomy is not your only option in absence of tumors or cancerous cells. I would always seek a second opinion as hysterectomies are performed unnecessarily in many cases. There are other options for treating excessive bleeding such as uterine lining ablation which can help a lot. Hormonal therapy can help but chances are the hot flashes will resolve in time as your body adjusts and you don't necessarily need to take hormones the rest of your life to feel just fine. Some people need them; others don't.

In many women the symptoms are greater prior to menopause than they are once menstruation has completely ceased. I would want to know all my options before undergoing that type of surgery and it's worth it to try other treatments. Hysterectomy is a popular income producer for surgeons so make sure your doctor has your health foremost in his/her treatment plan.

|