Question: wrong dosage of birth control pill-early period

lotrfreak46069 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm

I have been on Microgestin FE 1.5/30 for over a year now. I am on this higher dosage because I am over the average weight and on lower dosages I occasionally spot between periods. When I went back to the doctor for my yearly pap smear and medication refill he accidentally gave me the wrong dosage, a lower one. I didn't realize this until I filled it at the pharmacy and since I needed it right then I went ahead and got the lower dosage. That was last month and I started my period, very heavy, a whole week early, at the beginning of week 3 of my pills. This month I have the right prescription, but I am starting to show some signs of pregnancy (slight upset stomach, tender breasts, and prominent veins in my breasts). I'm just wondering if, because I didn't have my period during my placebo week like normal, there is a higher chance that I could be pregnant, or is it more likely that these symptoms are because of other, unrelated things?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 pm

I would not worry about the early withdrawal bleed - that is probably caused by the low dose pill. The other symptoms could also be related because they are often associated with hormonal fluctuation. The same reason you get the symptoms when you are pregnant is the reason you get them with the pill sometimes.

However, when in doubt about pregnancy, you can always take a pregnancy test, especially if you miss your next withdrawal bleed (period). The tests are effective even while on the pill. I suspect this is just adjustment to the variation.

|