Question: Low platelets / prednisone vs pregnancy

Lili1972 - Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:20 pm

I am 33 weeks pregnant with twins. This is my first pregnancy. I am 36 years old. I have a platelet count of 50. Doctors have been monitoring it since the begining. Platelet count pre-pregnancy over 250 now 50. I saw a hemotologist and she recommended 100mg/day of prednisone until delivery. I took my first dose today. I will be seeing my sugar specialist this Tuesday for insuline. I will be having a C-section on Dec.9, 2009.

I am concerned about this medication vs my pregnancy. Is this medicine safe for my twins? Would a platelet transfusion be safer for my babies?

Please provide a second opinion on this subject.

Thanks for your time.

Lili1972
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:15 pm

Since we do not study medications in large groups of pregnant women for the obvious reasons, we do not have good information about the problems with them. However, after a large number of women have used the medication because it was needed for her health, they can determine with pretty good accuracy that it appears to be safe, or not.

Starting this late in your pregnancy, this seems like a good course. We always worry about birth defects since in the general population we get about 3-5% of all babies with some form of significant birth defect and we usually do not know why. But most defects happen in the early developmental stages of pregnancy. At this point your babies are "finishing" and growing, developing lungs to breathe, fat to maintain body temperature and brain growth. But organs are complete and so you would not get that type of defect at this stage.

Whenever medication is given to a pregnant patient, the risks and benefits are weighed. If the risk of not using it is greater than the potential (not proven) risk of taking it, then it is usually prescribed. I believe your doctors are well-qualified to advise you as to the best course of action and I'm happy to hear you are seeing a hematologist as well as your OB.

Good luck with the upcoming delivery.

|