Question: 29 weeks pregnant, pracenta aging prematurely WORRIED!

jaja242424 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:55 pm

hi,
Im 29 weeks pregnant. On my last visit to the doc last week she said tat my placenta looks thick and looks like its aging prematurely. She said she could see some calcification appearing on the placenta. She also mention tat it looks like there is less fluid on the inside. When i asked if this would affect the baby she didn't say anything, she just told me to sleep on my left, monitor the fetal movement and come back in 3 weeks. Ive been so worried. My baby is due on 11th Jan 2010. Will he be ok? Is there anything I should do? Should I be worried?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Sometimes this happens and nobody knows why. Monitoring is the best you can do, just as your doctor said. I'm sure she will evaluate the fluid and placenta again at that point and determine if it seems to be getting worse, remains the same, or seems better. Hopefully you will be able to carry your baby to a safe place in pregnancy, but sometimes the risk inside becomes greater than the risk outside the uterus with the help of technology. Usually this is not as good as mom but sometimes it's better if the baby's nutrient supply is not working right. Nobody wants a premature baby because of the risks involved but sometimes that is the only alternative.

I know you are worried but try to relax as much as possible so you can reduce your stress hormones. It sounds like you are in good care so continue as your doctor has asked.

|