News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 29 weeks pregnant, pracenta aging prematurely WORRIED!

jaja242424 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:55 pm

hi,
Im 29 weeks pregnant. On my last visit to the doc last week she said tat my placenta looks thick and looks like its aging prematurely. She said she could see some calcification appearing on the placenta. She also mention tat it looks like there is less fluid on the inside. When i asked if this would affect the baby she didn't say anything, she just told me to sleep on my left, monitor the fetal movement and come back in 3 weeks. Ive been so worried. My baby is due on 11th Jan 2010. Will he be ok? Is there anything I should do? Should I be worried?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sometimes this happens and nobody knows why. Monitoring is the best you can do, just as your doctor said. I'm sure she will evaluate the fluid and placenta again at that point and determine if it seems to be getting worse, remains the same, or seems better. Hopefully you will be able to carry your baby to a safe place in pregnancy, but sometimes the risk inside becomes greater than the risk outside the uterus with the help of technology. Usually this is not as good as mom but sometimes it's better if the baby's nutrient supply is not working right. Nobody wants a premature baby because of the risks involved but sometimes that is the only alternative.

I know you are worried but try to relax as much as possible so you can reduce your stress hormones. It sounds like you are in good care so continue as your doctor has asked.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here