Question: Excessive menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia)

nightstar37 - Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:33 pm

Hi . I`m 37 And I Have A Prob With My Period , I Been Having Over 2 Weeks Now And I`m Very Scared And I Don`t Know What To Do . Please Help .
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:57 pm

User avatar Dear nightstar37,
The term menstrual disorders refers to any of a number of conditions that are related to the menstrual cycle. Menstruation is the shedding of the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) each month, also referred to as the menstrual period. Menstrual periods usually last for five to seven days. Menorrhagia is the term used to describe menstrual bleeding that lasts more than seven days or bleeding that is much heavier than usual for the individual.

Menorrhagia can be caused by a hormonal imbalance. The start of menstruation during puberty and the length and regularity of the menstrual cycle is controlled by hormones produced in an area of the brain called the hypothalamus, as well as by the pituitary and adrenal glands. The type of hormonal imbalance that causes menorrhagia can occur when hormone medications, such as birth control pills, are used improperly. Other causes of menorrhagia include non-cancerous growths, called polyps, on the cervix or inside the uterus; non-cancerous tumors, called fibroids, on the uterus; a cyst on the ovary; and cancer of the uterus, ovary, or cervix. Menorrhagia can also be caused by miscarriage, a pregnancy that is developing in the fallopian tubes (tubal or ectopic pregnancy), the use of an intrauterine device (IUD) for birth control, or chronic medical problems such as thyroid disorders, diabetes, and blood-clotting disorders.

If the bleeding is severe then I think you should consult a gynecologist immediately.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:37 pm

User avatar Dear Nightstar,

You could be suffering from dysfunctional uterine bleeding, i agree with Tamer, consult your gynaecologist.

|