Question: stopped pill after a week use, can i be pregnant?

babyboo - Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 am

hi, i had my period on oct. 12 and took the first pill of nordette. then i had unprotected sex on oct. 16, around oct. 19, i bagan to have hives and it got worse so i stopped taking it on oct 21. my period usually lasts for more than 5 days so i usually disregard spottings starting the 6th day of my period. however, on oct 23, i had experienced heavy bleeding, i was thinking it was withdrawal bleeding. it got lighter as each day goes by. however i also experienced slight crampings on lower abdomen. until now, i stil have a few brown discharges everyday. can i get pregnant with this? how soon can i take the home pregnancy test?

thanks in advance!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:56 pm

It sounds like you have had a period so you are not likely pregnant. Bleeding is usually assurance of non-pregnancy and only at times is associated with pregnancy - usually it is scant in amount in those cases. A home pregnancy test is accurate around the week that you miss the period - best if it's a few days after your period should have normally started. It is possible to get pregnant since you did not continue the pill. You should try to find a reliable method of birth control that you will use.

wife1 - Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:46 pm

I had a baby in january and I got pregnant in Sept not sure what date. Took about eight cycotec and had a period. About two wwks after that my husband and I had unprotected sex so I took the morning after pill.

That was about a week and a half ago. We want to have sex so I bought Rendell's Spermcidal tables for vaginal insertion. I am afraid to use them cause since then when I wipe ther is very light sign of blood comming from my vagina .

A little advise. My husbabd and I are trying to decide on a suitable contraceptive as well
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Spermicides used alone are not considered a very effective birth control method (75% to 85%) and usually these are used in conjunction with a cervical cap or diaphragm. I would not be alarmed about a little blood. Some people do experience irritation from the tablet or other type of spermicide. If it is light it is probably just normal spotting like many women experience from time to time.

If you are sure you do not want to get pregnant, I would recommend something else. Oral contraceptives and IUDs are quite reliable. The pill requires daily remembering but the IUD can be mostly forgotten. These are more expensive but if you plan to not become pregnant for a while, it evens out.

Talk to your health care provider as well as your partner to find a reliable method you are both comfortable with. If you want to continue the spermicide, you might also combine that with a "safe days" method. Cycle beads can help you track fertile days when you would be most likely to become pregnant. Extra diligence at that time would be wise. During the "unsafe days" it's best to avoid intercourse or use a good method such as condoms if you only want to use them when needed, then on the "safe days" you should be pretty confident with only the spermicide. Theoretically, with good tracking, you can skip contraceptives during that time but this usually only works well with someone who has regular periods. There is another "natural" method which monitors your secretions, called the "two day method." Both of these are newer ways of using natural family planning and these work well in conjunction with spermicide.

babyboo - Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 pm

hi there! i was thinking of taking a blood pregnancy test. how soon can i take the test? my period isnt due until nov.12. can i take the test now? it is more accurate than the urine pregnancy test right? my spottings had stopped but i am experiencing yellowish discharges now.

|