Question: missed period on nuvaring but not pregnant

mzdaqueen - Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:05 pm

hey im 17 and i was placed on birth control bcause my hormones are unbalaced and it cause my period to bleed for 3 months a yr ago. i have been on the nuva ring for about a yr and i havent been keepin up with the plan because i had no insurance and it became too expensive for me to afford but i really needed it to stop the bleedding.There has been some times when i have been with the same ring for 2months . This time i have had the same ring in about 1 month i took it out the beginning of the week but my period has not started yet(instead of a period i ahve gotten a light brown discharge ). I did my own research and it said if my period has not started i may b pregnant but I have no symptoms of pregnancy. Now i am looking 4 other reasons bcause i have heard about ppl missing their periods while on birth control. And sometimes my periods have started a lil late while ive been on it . I really need some help asap because i don't really have anybody to tell me these answers and i need to understand y my body has been acting weird with my period.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:55 pm

It is possible to be pregnant without symptoms so if you are in doubt you should take a home pregnancy test. There are other reasons you may miss your period and this kind of cycle irregularity is one of the primary side effects reported with hormonal birth control such as the pill and the NuvaRing. It is important to use these as prescribed to be protected against pregnancy so if this is not an option, be sure to use a condom or other method instead.

If you are not pregnant, I would not be worried about the missed period. It is quite common.

|