Question: Shaving/Waxing Pubic Area

aruba - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:50 am

I'm 18 and female. Yesterday I shaved my pubic area completely for the first time. I have done a little bit of reading about the process. I have no bumps or rashes present, but the hair has started to grow back a little and is stubbly and prickly. It is really irritating when I move around. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? And if I let the hair grow back long enough will it eventually be soft again?
I would also like to know about Bikini and Brazilian waxing. I've heard that the more times it's done, the less it hurts, and that it is possible that the hair will not regrow eventually? Does waxing also cause this stubbly and prickly feeling when the hair grows back? How long should I wait to try waxing after I have shaved my pubic area?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Shaving causes the hairs to all be at the same stage of growth, resulting in the coarse, prickly feeling. As the hair regrows it will soften but you will have a period of time when it will be bothersome. As with men shaving their faces and women shaving their legs, once started, it must be maintained or a growing out period is needed. As the growth process proceeds normally with hairs growing in and being replaced constantly at varying stages, you should have normal texture. I know of nothing to help in the meantime.

As for waxing - you need 1/4 inch of hair for the wax to hold onto so that is how long you would need to wait. The skin may be sensitive following the wax but this would be the case regardless of when it was done. Waxing usually results in a longer period of time without the hair growth (several weeks) so the prickles won't happen as soon, but they still will. As for regrowth, it is possible that after many times of waxing, the follicle itself is damaged enough that a new hair may not regrow.

I believe Brazilian Wax just refers to a style of waxing which removes almost all the hair all the way to the back, unless a small strip is left, according to preference.

If you want permanent hair removal without regrowth stubble, opt for electrolysis.

|