Question: Can I be pregnant yet get a negitive HPT and blood test?

Pete552 - Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:46 pm

I gave birth in may. i started my period again in june. In july, august, sept. and oct my period was very little which is not normal at all. i have been vrey tired, nasuea, boobs hurt, back hurts, moody and urination alot for the past 3 months. I went to the doctor and they did a blood test and it came back negative yet i am having all of the same symptoms as i did when i was pregnant before. Is it possibe to still be pregnant yet get a negitive blood test?
 pregnantagain - Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:09 pm

i had the exact same problem after i gave birth to my daughter.. i was sent for numerous tests & all came out negative, i went to see my obgyn & she told me alot of womem go through very similar symptons because there body is trying to get back into its own routine again!!! it is also possible that you may have a cist on your ovary that can cause these symptons. I hope this helped
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Are you breastfeeding? If so, missing periods is very normal.

Pregnancy is possible, though quite unusual, since the blood test is very sensitive. However, hormones are funny things and each woman is different. To complicate things further the same hormonal disruption that might be stopping your periods could be responsible for the symptoms - aside from pregnancy concerns. You should be able to just wait it out a while to see if things are just getting regulated again after giving birth but if the symptoms are bothersome, there are other ways to determine pregnancy such as viability ultrasonography.

Thyroid levels should also be checked if this continues and you are not breastfeeding.

|