Question: On the pill, but having my period on wrong days.

bugabuga - Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm a 19 year old female who has been on the pill for 3 years. I went on the pill because I was having extremely irregular cycles. The pill worked until about three weeks ago. The week before I had a thyroidectomy I started to get my period on the days I wasn't supposed to have it, then after my surgery I missed the pills for 3 days and got my period. I waited until the end of the week and started a new pack of pills. My period stopped for the first week, but now is back. Could this be stress related or something else?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:37 am

This is called breakthrough bleeding and is quite common while on birth control pills. In about 10% of users, this does occur even after having been on the pill for a while and it is probably the most common reason people stop using hormonal contraception. It is not considered a problem; just an inconvenience. You should discuss it with your provider who knows the formulation of the pill you take and can decide if you need a different one. Meanwhile, be sure you take the pill about the same time every day to help even out the hormone.

However, since other conditions such as infection can also result in bleeding like this, it is best to consult your physician to be sure you don't have clamydia or something like that.

Dadada - Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm 19 and iv been on the pill for about 3 years an recently started bleeding on my second week of active pills but still getting normal periods aswell at the end. The bleeding also happens some times after intercourse but normally not till I get up the next morning. Iv been to the doc an they put me on a stronger pill it's only my first month on the new pill but it's still happening. Any ideas on what's wrong?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:39 am

Breakthrough bleeding such as you describe is quite common with oral contraceptives but it is not worrisome - just bothersome! Give the new prescription a chance for a couple of months and if it continues, you may need another adjustment in your Rx.

|