Question: Induce periods?

jterry - Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:56 pm

I met with my OBGYN and I had not had my period in 2 months. Pregnancy test resulted in negative. She gave me a pill I have to take for 10 days to start my period. ODes this pill cause you to ovulate? My husband and I are trying, so I was curious if this pill, for 10 days, has you ovulate then have your period? I have signs of ovulation. A thick discharge, which is normal for when I ovulate. COuld someone let me know?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:28 pm

User avatar Hi jterry,
What medication was prescribed?
 jterry - Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:12 pm

Prometrium, I have to take 2 tablets at night for 10 days. They said after the 10th day my period will start.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:55 pm

User avatar Hi jterry,
Prometrium is progesterone (a female hormone) thats important for regulation of ovulation and menstruation. It used to treat the absence of menstruation due to a progesterone deficiency. Hopefully this will put your hormone levels back into the correct balance. Good Luck to you and your husband on trying to conceive.
 jterry - Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:21 am

Thank-you so much for your response, but I was curious if this drug causes you to ovulate. I have to take it for 10days, does it have you ovulate prior to the 10th day? If not, is it supposed to allow you to ovulate 14 days after? just wanted to know if my husband and I should try during the time I am taking the pill or just wait until after I have my period?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:51 pm

User avatar Hi jterry,
From my understanding it will induce your period and then hopefully put you back into a regular ovulation cycle.
 abieghler - Fri May 13, 2005 1:44 pm

I WAS ALSO PRESCRIBED THE SAME MEDS YOU WERE. I AM ALSO TRYING TO CONCEIVE I HAVE BEEN TTC FOR 8 MONTHS. THE MEDS DIDN'T WORK AND I WAS ON THEM FOR 3 MONTHS OFF AND ON! WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

|