Question: Sore breats for weeks- not cyclic!

tryingagain - Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm

I am a 32 year old woman, and until 6 months ago was on the Depo Provera (12yrs). I switched to the Mirena seamlessly, but I have read Mirena forums indicating breats soreness as a possibly side effect.
My breasts have been sore several weeks now, with the tenderness centered on the nipples and surrounding tissue. Both breasts are sore, and I haven't noticed any lumps during self exams. I don't know if this could be cyclic hormonal changes (haven't had my period since I started Depo), but I wanted to know if this is something normal, unusual, worrisome, etc., .... and if it is normal how long is it likely to last? At what point should I be worried and see a doctor?
Thank you!
 tryingagain - Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:51 am

I apologize- my fingers kept hitting the "T" before the "S" in "breast". It's not unawareness of how to spell it! :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Most breast tenderness like you describe is hormonally caused and I suspect it is an adjustment to the hormone alteration. Most likely it will resolve but each woman's reaction is different so I can't say when you could expect that. If it is just too painful for you to handle while you wait it out, please see your doctor. But, realize, this is not a serious concern. Women always worry about breast cancer but this pain is not a typical symptom for that.

|