Question: Late Period, Minor Pain in upper pelvis region/lower abdomen

NotSure2009 - Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:53 pm

My last regular period that I had was on August 29, 2009. On September 27, 2009 I had what seemed like a very small very short period which lasted only 1 1/2 days. I was supposed to get it again on October 24th which it has yet to arrive. Here is my problem other than that: I took a pregnancy test thinking that was it but it came out negative. I get slight crampy pains in the upper region of my pelvis and sometimes a sharp pain that shoots straight up my abdomen, get slight headaches at night and I am eating a whole lot more than I am used to ( I feel like I have gained atleast 5 pounds in the last two weeks or atleast that is what my clothes are telling me.) I have also noticed today that when I went to the bathroom twice today and took a poo... when I wiped there was blood and I have no clue why or for what reason that is happening. Does anybody have any kind of clue what might be going on?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:23 am

Pregnancy does not typically manifest itself with abdominal pain, increased appetite and weight gain. Of course every woman is different; I'm just talking about the usual case. The missed period is the only symptom that might suggest it. You can repeat the pregnancy test and often this is done weekly until your period starts. If that is not convincing, a blood test that a doctor or clinic does is more sensitive and sometimes gives a faster answer if your hcg levels are too low to show up on a urine test.

However, hormonal fluctuation can affect your body, including your periods, headaches, and appetite. This could be "female" hormones or something else like thyroid. If your period doesn't start, you may want to be seen to find out what is causing your symptoms. All we can do here is speculate and there ares so many organs in the abdomen that can cause pain, an examination is required for diagnosis.

As for the blood with the stool. Have you been constipated at all recently. If so, there can be small hemorroids that bleed or the trauma to the tissues caused by passing a hard, dry stool can result in slight bleeding. If you are having some kind of bowl problem, perhaps there's a relationship but red blood usually means the lower part of the intestine, anal region. Black blood is older and could be from the stomach or upper intestines. A small amount of blood with stool is not usually alarming, especially with constipation.

|