News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: HCG Levels after miscarriage...

Precious7477 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:32 pm

My LMP was Sept 19, 2009. I had a positive pregnancy test on October 23rd & 24th. My periods are very regular. On October 28th I started bleeding heavily and cramping for a good 4 days, with very dark brown blood on the fifth day. I new I was miscarrying. I went in for blood work on that day of the first bleed and my levels were 35 then that friday they were 39. Then I went in this Monday the 2nd and they were 56. On tuesday I finally got to see my Ob/gyn she did a vaginal ultrasound and everything looks ok no bleeding or sac, ovaries looked clear etc. So it seems it was a very early miscarriage. She wants me to continue on Monday with another HCG level blood work taken to make sure it goes down.
My question is~ #1~why did these go up after the bleeding has ended. Is this normal? She was not concerned but said she wants to see the levels go to 0.
And #2~ could i have an ectopic preganncy etc even if i feel great? I guess i am worried about this level leading into something serious?
Please..What are your thoughts?
Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:18 pm

User avatar Hello,
It varies but it can take up to six weeks for hCG levels to return to 0. I would not suspect pregnancy with these numbers and ectopic pregnancy does have symptoms so the fact you feel great would suggest no problem.

Good luck with your future pregnancy planning.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here