Question: large baby 37 wks

mjs812 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:03 pm

I am pregnant with my second child, 37 weeks. First was c-section, doctor recommended 2nd c-section, it is scheduled for Nov. 19, at which point I will be 39 weeks. Had ultrasound today, doctors estimated baby's weight to be 9 lbs. 5 oz already! My first child was 7 lbs 10 oz at birth, so this one is alot bigger. I am 39 years old, very petite, only 5 feet tall, pre-pregnancy weight about 142. Gained 36 lbs so far this pregnancy. Have rheumatoid arthritis, which is made worse by all the added weight - I am so uncomfortable, and have frequent back, knee & hip pain. Would it be safe to move c-section date to sooner?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 pm

It is important for you to know that estimates of baby's weight at this point can be off by two pounds either way. I have seen women get earlier c-sections due to such estimates only to deliver a 6 lb. late preterm baby. Since you are having a c-section anyway, as opposed to a VBAC, you should definitely wait.

There is a huge increase in baby's needing to go to the NICU (Newborn ICU) due to early planned c-sections. I know you are uncomfortable but it is best for the baby to deliver as close to your 40 week gestation as possible and having a baby in NICU is no picnic - to say nothing of the increased cost, difficulty with breastfeeding and disruption to your lives.

New guidelines are recommending NO c-sections or inductions before 39 completed weeks unless the baby or mother's health is in danger. Some hospitals have adopted this policy and the doctor cannot move the date up. Your scheduled date is perfect.

|