News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: POLYCYSTIC OVARIES, WORRIED ABOUT CANCER.

jazzle - Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:32 am

HI I AM 29 AND I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME WHEN I WAS 16.

i HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TREATMENT FOR THIS AND NOW I AM GETTING WORRIED ABOUT ENDOMETRIAL CANCER AND WHAT DAMAGE COULD ALREADY BE DONE?

IN MY EARLY 20S I DIDN'T HAVE MANY PERIODS AND WHEN I DID THEY WERE VERY HEAVY AND PAINFUL.THEY ARE MORE REGULAR NOW BUT STILL HEAVY AND PAINFUL.

HAVE I LEFT IT TOO LATE TO ASK FOR TREATMENT? I AM SO SCARED THAT LOTS OF DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. THANK YOU
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
Polycystic ovary syndrome is not a cancerous or even precancerous condition though the results of it may predispose you to some forms of cancer. For instance, being overweight or obese raises your cancer risk and this is often one effect of PCOS. Estrogen is also affected estrogen-sensitive cancers such as endometrial and breast cancer may be associated with PCOS but not a lot is known about this.

PCOS is a very complex hormonal and metabolic disorder that represents a threat to your good health. So, it makes sense to get treatment but it's not a simple thing. Some doctors just prescribe birth control pills, but I think it is more than that since blood sugar and insulin are also affected by it. Medications such as Metformin and anti-androgens may also be required.

You should see your doctor annually for normal pelvic exams and pap smears but I would not expect you to be in real danger here just because of the PCOS. However, in order for you to achieve optimal health, you should address this problem. It's not too late and most likely no irreversible damage has been done.

Good luck in this journey to good health.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here