Question: Effects of Bulimic Room Mate on My Period

froglvr4life - Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:04 pm

I know that living with other women can lead to periods synchronizing. My room mate is bulimic and since it's possible she is missing her periods, can this cause me to miss mine as well? I'm not on birth control and not sexually active but my period is late (a week and counting now). This is very unusual for me since I always get mine every 25 days, the only exception being a day off, and no more.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:09 pm

This phenomenon is something we don't completely understand. It is believed that pheromones (odorless chemical signals given off by women) are responsible for this frequent synchronization of women's menstrual periods when they live together as roommates. I am not aware of actual amenorrhea (absence of menses) due to bulima or anorexia nervosa being studied as it relates to other women in close living proximity but it makes sense that it could affect your period this way. There is a lot of normal period and hormone fluctuation that can cause a missed period. Keep in mind that having a period is not necessary for health so don't be overly concerned about this. If you were sexually active you might have reason to worry; otherwise, I would wait it out and see what happens in the next few months.

|