Question: Do I need to take the Plan B pill twice?

chicagogirl1084 - Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Hello. I recently started having intercourse with my boyfriend and have just recently started taking birth control again. We do not use a condom, we practice the withdrawal method and will continue to do so until I’m confident that the birth control is effective. I was a little nervous after we had sex Saturday night and took the Plan B pill on Sunday at 11pm to be sure. However, we had sex again at about 7am the following morning and he accidentally partially came inside of me. Do I need to take another Plan B pill or will the pill that I took Sunday night cover me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:08 am

If you started your birth control pills two weeks prior to this event or at the end of your last menstrual period, you should be safe. The plan B is intended for after; not preventive but the hormones it contains are the same as those used in birth control pills with altered dosage. Chances are that you will have protection based on the regular pill but extra protection is recommended at the start of the pill if you start it midcycle. If you started at the end of a period it should be good from the beginning without backup.

I hope this helps.

|