News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Short-term heavy bleeding in early pregnancy after sex

happyk - Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi,

I am 4 days passed my LMP, and the home pregnancy test has indicated a positive. (I am waiting for my HCG results from the lab). My breasts are slightly enlarged, and I have been experiencing a slight pain in my lower right abdomen (my Dr indicated that this is usually normal in early pregnancy). In other words, my signs and symptoms would indicate potential pregnancy.

My question: Is it normal to experience a heavy bleed after intercourse in very early pregnancy (ie.,. 2 weeks)? My husband and I were intimate last night, and during this I suddenly began to experience heavy bleeding: bright red blood, no pain, no clots, no cramping. The blood was extensive enough to have filled 2-3 regular pads and stopped within 30-40 minutes, with no further spotting. I have never experienced anything like this before. In fact, we were intimate the previous day before this happened, and there was no unusual occurrence. It should be noted that we had not attempted anything new or out of the ordinary when the bleed occurred.

Is this normal? My doctor does not seem to have an answer.

Thanks!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
The tiny blood vessels in the vagina are sometimes more fragile in pregnancy so perhaps this is the cause of the bleeding. You need to know that having sex while you are pregnant does not lead to loss, though miscarriage is common - the result of around 25% of all pregnancies. Just know that if by chance the bleeding were related to that, it was not the result of the sexual activity.

There is also the possibility of some implantation bleeding and this usually occurs 6-12 days past ovulation. Since we don't know exactly when you ovulated, it can be hard to determine this.

Occasionally women get tiny placental tears which result in bleeding but which often heal over in time. This is not alarming since the bleeding did not continue.

Best wishes for a successful pregnancy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here