Question: Short-term heavy bleeding in early pregnancy after sex

happyk - Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

I am 4 days passed my LMP, and the home pregnancy test has indicated a positive. (I am waiting for my HCG results from the lab). My breasts are slightly enlarged, and I have been experiencing a slight pain in my lower right abdomen (my Dr indicated that this is usually normal in early pregnancy). In other words, my signs and symptoms would indicate potential pregnancy.

My question: Is it normal to experience a heavy bleed after intercourse in very early pregnancy (ie.,. 2 weeks)? My husband and I were intimate last night, and during this I suddenly began to experience heavy bleeding: bright red blood, no pain, no clots, no cramping. The blood was extensive enough to have filled 2-3 regular pads and stopped within 30-40 minutes, with no further spotting. I have never experienced anything like this before. In fact, we were intimate the previous day before this happened, and there was no unusual occurrence. It should be noted that we had not attempted anything new or out of the ordinary when the bleed occurred.

Is this normal? My doctor does not seem to have an answer.

Thanks!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:37 pm

The tiny blood vessels in the vagina are sometimes more fragile in pregnancy so perhaps this is the cause of the bleeding. You need to know that having sex while you are pregnant does not lead to loss, though miscarriage is common - the result of around 25% of all pregnancies. Just know that if by chance the bleeding were related to that, it was not the result of the sexual activity.

There is also the possibility of some implantation bleeding and this usually occurs 6-12 days past ovulation. Since we don't know exactly when you ovulated, it can be hard to determine this.

Occasionally women get tiny placental tears which result in bleeding but which often heal over in time. This is not alarming since the bleeding did not continue.

Best wishes for a successful pregnancy.

|