News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missed period while on birth control and neg. preg test

Collegestudent21012 - Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi!

I have been on birth control for two years now and am currently sexual active. I never miss taking my pills but I sometimes do not always take them at the same time every day. My boyfriend and I do not use condoms but he always pulls out. I started taking the placebo pills on Monday of last week and I still have not started my period. I have taken a pregnancy test which turned out negative so I am at a loss of what to do. I have been very stressed with school lately, could that be the source? Or should I be more worried and go to the doctor? Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
Stress is one of many causes that can delay or stop your period. In the absence of pregnancy which has been confirmed by the tests and pretty much assured by your consistent use of birth control pills and condoms, you need not worry about this. While on oral contraception you don't have the same kind of "period." It is actually "withdrawal bleeding" resulting from the withdrawal of the hormones in the pill.

Try not to worry - that will definitely contribute to your cycle worries. A missed period is no reason to have to rush to the doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here