News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Can Mono cause missed period?

multiv - Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm 21 years old and have a history of slightly irregular periods, I've never missed one however. The last day of my last period was September 26, 2009. I generally have heavy periods and the last one was unusually light for me. I've taken two pregnancy tests (5, and 10 days after missed period) and they were both negative, and I seriously doubt I could be pregnant. I experienced PMS symptoms the week I was expecting my period, nothing ever happened. I have had an increased amount of odorless white creamy (lotion) discharge. Mid September through October I started taking Melatonin 3mg to sleep at night sporadically throughout the month (not every night), which I've read has an effect on menstruation. I've also been taking vitamin C supplements daily. I do have a history of Iron deficiency anemia, which I haven't treated lately. Today I visited my doctor with swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. He tested me for Mono, and it was confirmed. I've had Mono symptoms since July. My question is could Mono cause me to miss my period? Would the melatonin or iron deficiency affect my menstrual cycle as well? Should I be concerned?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
Missing a menstrual period now and again is considered perfectly normal and due to fluctuation of hormones, missed ovulatory cycle or other minor causes. You do not have to have a period every month to be healthy. Since you are not pregnant you have nothing to worry about here. Illness and infection can contribute to hormonal fluctuation but so can other things.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here