Question: Miscarriage then pre-eclampsia

kez4eva88 - Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 am

My first pregnancy I lost my baby when I was 16 weeks pregnant, but was told the baby died 3 weeks earlier (when I was 13 weeks). I then became pregnant again a few months later and had a healthy baby boy. However, I developed pre-eclampsia at 35 weeks but was not induced until I was 39 weeks. What are the chances of either of these happening again if I were to become pregnant again. I would like to have more children, but I am put off by either of these happening again. I was also told a few years ago that I am 'on the verge' of having polycystic ovaries.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:41 pm

There is a much higher chance of pre-eclampsia with a first time pregnancy and delivery. Subsequent pregnancies can also result in pregnancy-induced high blood pressure but you are less likely to develop pre-eclampsia. It can happen and given your history your doctor will probably monitor your blood pressure carefully just to be sure but I would not really worry too much about it.

Your pregnancy loss was likely unrelated and should not deter you. Again, it could happen again, but since you carried the next baby to term, there is no reason to think you won't be able to do that again.

Good luck and best wishes.

|