News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: was the rigt diagnosis made on P.I.D condition

honeybun - Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:50 pm

i had an i.u.d inserted.3 weeks laer i had a check up done and was found to have profuse growth of E.Coli, i was given antibiotics to clear it up.later on i developed a lower right abdominal pain, i went back to the hospital 4weeks later and they did an ultrasound. i was diagnosed with mild P.I.D and given doxycycline 2x per day for 7 days, amoxycllin 1g 2x per day for 7 days and metronidazole 3x per day for 7 days. after completion the pain had subsided but was stil slightly there so i went to a gynae, an HVS was taken and culture done and was found t have moderate growth of E.Coli that was only susceptible on gentamycin and septrin, so i was on septrin 2x per day for 10 days. i finised and went back for a folllow up and another HVS test and culture is to be done but after i finish my periods.as of now the pain is rarely there. when i googled this P.I.D condition the treatment they say is supposed to be taken for 14days but i was given for days. i told my gynae but he said i was given the correct doseand il be fine. but am stil worried if m completely cured? or its stil silently there. plus does my boyfrind need treatment to prevent my reinfection?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your diagnosis sounds accurate to me. Antibiotics are generally used for 10 to 14 days; some for shorter duration. The important thing is to complete the prescribed dose. The 14 days would be a few extra for "good measure" but the 10 day treatment should be adequate. Some infections are resistant so it is important to return to the doctor if you have a recurrence of symptoms. That's about all you can do - watch and see - to know if the treatment is effective.

Your boyfriend should not require treatment.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here