Question: Bump on Perineum

CuriousnConcerned - Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:13 pm

I have a recurring bump on my perineum. It is flesh colored and seems to come up when I wear a thong or something that irritates the skin. I have been getting this off and on for several years, but I got concerned, because it is gross and I can usually pop it, but I noticed the discharge was smelly. I've never honestly checked it before, but this made me worry. I even got something similar to this before I was sexually active. I got it the first time when I was 17 and I think I was wearing a thong then too. I also generally shave off everything down there, so I don't know what this is. It's the gross odor that concerns me more than anything.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:56 pm

It sounds like a cyst or infected follicle. These can be brought on by such friction and shaving the perineum does increase your risk for ingrown hairs. The odor suggests infection and you may require antibiotics so it is important for you to discuss it with your health care provider. I would not consider it urgent, but something you should do before too long since it is giving you problems. Meanwhile you might avoid thongs and anything that irritates the site.

|