News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Brown Spotting Inbetween Periods

Jewell5280 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:25 pm

HelloI''m a 21 year old female and I'm about half way through my menstral cyle, due to start my period in about 2 weeks. However today when using the restroom I noticed I was spotting, but it's not regular period blood, it's like dry blood, it's brown and kind of thick and it appears on the toilet paper when I wipe and appears on toilet paper when I swipped my vaginal canal. For about four months I have noticed some other symptoms that seem they may relate. I've been having urinary frequency and urgency (no pain tho), inercourse can sometimes be uncomfortable and mildly painful, and for about the past 4 months my menstral cycle has been irregular (i.e. late one month, 1-2 wks early the next, then late again) which isn't normal for me. My periods always been pretty predictable. I am sexually active however with only one partner, and I am my fiances only sexual partner as well. I have heard that the brown discharge can be caused by accidently leaving a tampon inserted after the period ends, however my fiance and I checked my vaginal canal for a foreign object and found nothing. I'm not sure if this is applicable, but I did have chlamydia in the past and I'm pretty sure it has made me infertile considering I havn't gotten pregnant in 3 years of unprotected sex. I don't have insureance, so my question is, judging by my symptoms what do you think this could be? Is this some thing I can take care of at the Free STD Clinic? Or does it sound like the problems deeper and ike I need to be seen by a gynecologist? Also, is this something that can wait a couple weeks for financial reasons, or does it sound like it needs to be taken care ASAP? I hope I've provided you with a comprehensive history of my problem and health history. Thank you very much! :-)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not consider this an urgent concern except if there is a urinary tract infection caused by a bacteria. The frequency and urgency might indicate this and a urine test would be needed to find out.

The spotting between periods can be very normal and dark blood usually indicates old blood that may not have been eliminated entirely before that time, with your period. The free STD clinic could definitely check for any infection and this would be wise.

If intercourse continues to be painful, there is a chance you could have infection or endometriosis so you would want to have this checked out at some point, especially if it seems to be getting worse. You might try a time of rest without sex to see if it is some kind of superficial trauma that needs time to heal.

Period irregularities alone are also considered normal in most women.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here