Question: Will Metformin Get You Pregnant?

dancecraze07 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 am

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in March of this year. I recently went in for a check up with my gyno as I have lost 25 lbs on my own and finally had a period on my own again for the 1st time in about a yr. Another reason I made the appt is because I looked up PCOS on webmd.com to see what I could find out about it. Webmd.com says that untreated PCOS can cause diabetes. My Dr. told me that people who are diabetic are those that get PCOS...which is right? Webmd.com also says that getting it under control with metformin will help you avoid becoming diabetic. My gyno said it will make me pregnant and I should not take it yet if my husband and I don't want kids right away. We do want to wait a few months to a yr before getting pregnant but I also don't want to be diabetic at 21. So will metformin cause me to become pregnant? I know it'll help me lose more weight which will increase my chances but that should take time right? The most information I can get would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Metformin is a very effective and safe medication for treating PCOS. Some women become pregnant after taking it simply because they were unable to conceive due to the PCOS and getting treatment often results in normal follicular development. However, it cannot make you get pregnant - only sexual intercourse will do that. But, if you are sexually active and not wanting to conceive yet, you should use some method of birth control while taking the metformin. Condoms are fine.

Recent studies have indicated that metformin alone is not a good solution for infertility in cases of PCOS, but it is still helpful for the problem and if additional help in conceiving is needed, an ovulation stimulator such as clomid is prescribed. As I said, some women do conceive after starting the metformin and getting the PCOS under control but it is not believed to be primarily due the the effects of metformin. Part of it is just luck in any conception (or lack of).

You are wise to be alert to possible risk factors for diabetes and I would recommend making any health changes prior to becoming pregnant in the future, including weight loss if needed.

|