News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Will Metformin Get You Pregnant?

dancecraze07 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 am

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in March of this year. I recently went in for a check up with my gyno as I have lost 25 lbs on my own and finally had a period on my own again for the 1st time in about a yr. Another reason I made the appt is because I looked up PCOS on webmd.com to see what I could find out about it. Webmd.com says that untreated PCOS can cause diabetes. My Dr. told me that people who are diabetic are those that get PCOS...which is right? Webmd.com also says that getting it under control with metformin will help you avoid becoming diabetic. My gyno said it will make me pregnant and I should not take it yet if my husband and I don't want kids right away. We do want to wait a few months to a yr before getting pregnant but I also don't want to be diabetic at 21. So will metformin cause me to become pregnant? I know it'll help me lose more weight which will increase my chances but that should take time right? The most information I can get would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
Metformin is a very effective and safe medication for treating PCOS. Some women become pregnant after taking it simply because they were unable to conceive due to the PCOS and getting treatment often results in normal follicular development. However, it cannot make you get pregnant - only sexual intercourse will do that. But, if you are sexually active and not wanting to conceive yet, you should use some method of birth control while taking the metformin. Condoms are fine.

Recent studies have indicated that metformin alone is not a good solution for infertility in cases of PCOS, but it is still helpful for the problem and if additional help in conceiving is needed, an ovulation stimulator such as clomid is prescribed. As I said, some women do conceive after starting the metformin and getting the PCOS under control but it is not believed to be primarily due the the effects of metformin. Part of it is just luck in any conception (or lack of).

You are wise to be alert to possible risk factors for diabetes and I would recommend making any health changes prior to becoming pregnant in the future, including weight loss if needed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here