News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: confused about chemiacl pregnancy

rachyrooroo100 - Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:47 pm

I hadn't had a period in 2 months so I did a pregnancy test and it was positive. I did 3 more throughout the next week all were positive but faint lines. I had a bit of spotting but no cramps and was only for about 2 days, and I thought spotting was quite normal. I had a blood test done at the doctors a week after my first hpt and the results came back negative. Is this a chemical pregnancy? And if it was would I hav not been around 9 weeks pregnant? I thought I would have felt a miscarriage? Also during the first 2 months before I had done a test I was going out and drinking a lot, smoking and taking large amounts of caffeine (energy drinks, pro plus and coffee) as I was tired from my busy lifestyle and unknowingly my pregnancy. Would these be reasons to have caused a chemical pregnancy?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:02 am

User avatar Hello,
It is very possible you did have a chemical pregnancy, which is simply an early miscarriage. In the days before home pregnancy tests, most women were not even aware there had been a pregnancy at all, and the period just came. We don't know exactly why these occur but assume it is related to either a chromosomal problem with the baby, inadequate hormones to sustain it, or problems with implantation and development. They are VERY common and it is not likely they will affect your future pregnancies.

The negative behaviors you describe can contribute to pregnancy problems and loss but I could not say there was a direct relationship. Avoiding such substances is always advised in pregnancy and pregnancy planning, just to be sure.

Best wishes for your future.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here