Question: Removal of polyp through hysteroscropy-D&C

SF415 - Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:47 pm

I've always been regular with my cycles. I'm 29 and gave birth in Oct 2008...started my cycle again in March and it was normal until September '09 when I started spotting about 3 days before my period started and had really heavy periods. This happened in Sept and Oct...late Oct. had a hysteroscopy...found a polyp and removed it (pathology report came back benign...thyroid was normal) and I thought i was in the clear but then started spotting again this month (6 days of spotting). Spotting and more heavy bleeding (heavy as in changing every 2-3 hours on a SUPER tampon). Dr. recommended Provera.

Is provera safe? Is this common after procedure? Is this all due to low progesterone leavel after pregnancy? And is it possible to still have kids after this? Am I infertile?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 am

Provera is very safe and replaces natural hormones which may be out of balance. I would have no reason to suspect future infertility based on this scenario. Period irregularities such as this happen in many women and childbirth often changes the cycle and the hormonal regulation. It takes a little while to get things back in balance. In time you will probably even out and you should be able to conceive when you are ready for that.

|