Question: Clear Discharge From Nipple & Tenderness--ish...

RiosMama - Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 am

Ok, so a little history first. I had my son at 41 weeks on March 24 2009, and at first breastfed him. He ended up getting thrush from a yeast infection that I got after having him and stopped breastfeeding. He was 2 months old about, probably closer to 3. I just stopped producing milk, I never produced a ton of milk in the first place, he was doing mostly formula after the first 2 weeks of breastfeeding. But it stopped without doing anything. I got checked out by my Dr. at 6 weeks to get my Mirena put in, and he says that it's strange to just stop but checked me to see any lumps. Then had me come back in, I believe it was 4 weeks after placing the Mirena...maybe 2, I don't really remember, and I had him check again and nothing. I still wasn't producing.
So my son is 7 months old now and the past month or so I've felt like I got kicked in the chest, more in the sternum area not really towards my breasts at all. And 2 days ago my right breast started to ache like I was getting milk in to start producing again. I looked at my nipple (lt) and it started sucreting a clear substance that looked like Collestrum. And now it has been like a couple of drops whenever I look at them. It's not like so much that I have to wear a breast pad basically. Also when going to take a bath or taking off my bra, my nipples seem to be a purplish color before they are touched with anything. I was thinking about calling my doctor but thought that I might try this website first for some advice.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:26 pm

It is most likely just some hormonal disruption but nipple discharge when not lactating can signify a problem with the pituitary gland (usually benign) so it doesn't hurt to check it out with your doctor if it continues. The fact you have lactated in the past is more reassuring that this could just be some latent lactation occurring now due to the hormonal fluctuation. I would not be overly alarmed but pain is not normal and often signifies a need for follow-up. It is possible you still have some milk in there and perhaps a clogged milk duct or infection is causing your pain.

|