Question: Trying to get pregnant at 43

mariel - Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:37 pm

I had a medical abortion and I am trying to conceive right now. My question is how to enhance my chances of getting pregnant and how soon after the signs of ovulation, ovulation really occurs.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:18 pm

While you can still become pregnant at 43, you could have a little more difficulty than you would in your 20s or 30s.

Ovulation may be confirmed by an increase in the basal body temperature of 0.5 to 1.0 degrees F the day after ovulation occurs. Readings are most accurate when they are taken immediately on awakening before any activity. Conception is most likely to occur if sexual intercourse has occurred the 5 days before or on the day of ovulation.

If you are monitoring vaginal secretions, you are considered fertile if you had the increase in stretchy vaginal discharge yesterday or today. If it was two or more days ago, you have probably passed ovulation and fertility that month.

This is about as close as we can get for predicting. There are ovulation predictor kits you can buy to help with the tracking.

Good luck in your efforts to conceive.

|