Question: Septic Pelvic Thrombophlibitis

kaydog09 - Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:19 pm

In july 2007 i gave birth to my son, via c-section, 3 days later i becam sick, high fever, vomiting, diarrea, a week later the doctora determined i had Septic pelvic thrombophlibitis, i was in the hospital 2 weeks on heprin and antibiotics then released home when my fever left, my husband and i would like to have anothe baby, but what are my chances of getting thombosis again? and is it safe to try to get pregnant?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 am

Have you had pelvic inflammatory disease(PID) prior to the caesarian section?

PID, septic abortions & puerperal infections are the main predisposing factors in the causation of this condition.

Diagnosis is by imaging (CT & MRI).

Management is by I.V broad-spectrum antibiotics and parenteral anticoagulation(heparin).How long the anticoagulation has to be continued is not known.

Any episode deep vein thrombosis increase the individual's risk for venous thrombosis in the future. Whether this is the case with pelvic septic thrombophlebitis is not clear.

It is likely that you may need thromboembolism prophylaxis in future pregnancies to cover the peripartum period.
 kaydog09 - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:15 pm

No i have never been diagnosed with any of those conditions you listed, But i do recall when i had my C-section (bc i was awake the whole time) hearing the nurse's counting guaze, they counted and counted and got a diffrent number each time, a couple of days after i got sick i went to the bathroom and a Guaze like material fell out of me! my mother who has worked in a hospital for over 20 years put gloves on and picked it up, it was white, rolled up and tied with strings on both ends, they took it to be examined and it came back a "Tissue like substence" If the doctor did leave guaze in me could that have set up the Thrombosis? But they said it was just toilet paper, but it wasn't, toilet paper desolves and this clealy didnt, my mother picked it up and it was a strong material. Thank you.

|