News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Extensive Adhesion's

snobaby72 - Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:56 pm

i went in october,2009 for a belly button surgery to have both ovary's and tubes removed,due to reccurring simple cyst,when i woke i was told only my right ovary and tube was removed and lysis of alot of adhesion's was done and the left ovary and tube could not be seen/under alot of adhesion's so was not removed,she said i have extensive adhesions on my left ovary and tube,bladder,bowels and intestines. all caused by my hysterectomy(abdominal) in june,2009 it was done due to borderline precancer of the uterus.so how bad is extensive adhesions and what problems will they cause, i am a 36 years old female normally healthy(kinda) the more surgery's i have to remove the adhesions there is a good chance more will grow back,please really really need some ansawer's on how bad adhesions can get and what to do about them.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:45 pm

User avatar HI,
Intra-abdominal adhesions are considered to be unintended post-inflammatory scar tissues that form after abdominal/pelvic surgery.They may also occur as a result of intra-abdominal/pelvic infections or endometriosis .Congenital adhesions/bands can also occur(not discussed further here).

They could be
- at the site of the surgical procedure(operative-site adhesions) or
- de-novo(at sites away from the operative-site).

Symptomatology varies widely...
- asymptomatic,
- causing minimal, transient symptoms or
- causing severe and at times life-threatening complications.

Morphologically, adhesions may be classified as
- thick or thin,
- dense or flimsy,
- opaque or translucent &
- vascular or avascular.

Many preventive measures are being tried and tested but only a few are said to have met the requirements for Level 1 evidence of safety and efficacy.Many workers believe that preventing post-surgical adhesions remains more of an art, rather than a science.

In your case, the cause of the adhesions seems unclear(? prior pelvic pathology).Contribution of the various surgeries that you had undergone in the past is difficult to quantify.How these adhesions might behave in the future is unpredictable. It may be wise to leave them alone unless they are significantly symptomatic.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here