Question: Postponing periods with OCP

Chotoo - Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:25 pm

i have been taking Crisanta-LS,(Drospirenone and Ethinylestradiol) (24 day pack) as oral contraceptive. my first pack will finish on 4th of Dec. i will therefore have my periods approx on 7th of Dec (4 pill free days). Is there any way i can postpone my periods upto 17th of Dec. That means postponing my periods for 10 days. This is very important because i will be getting married in these 10 days. moreover will my pill protect from pregnancy me in these 10days.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Yes, it is possible to manipulate your period with oral contraceptives. If you continue to take the active pills without a break (just start the new pack immediately rather than taking the period "break". There are OCs that are designed to be taken for several months without a break and it does no harm to your body to do this. The "period" is actually withdrawal bleeding from the decreased hormone and not a true, normal period like you would have if you were ovulating and not on the pill.

Of course you can discuss this with your doctor or health care provider, but it is perfectly safe and frequently practiced.

|