News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Luteal Phase Length

Jessica1189 - Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:40 pm

What is the longest number of days that a luteal phase can possibly be? I have around a 35 day cycle normally and have recently just found out I'm pregnant. I'd like to know when I conceived. Is is possible for luteal phases to be longer than 16 days? I"ve heard both. My last period was October 9th. Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, it is possible for your ovulation day to be day 21 of your cycle with a 35 day pattern. This would mean you could have conceived around October 30.

I hope this helps.
 Jessica1189 - Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks! It does help, but I'm curious about the length of the luteal phase. is it possible for them to be longer than 16 days or not possible? It's a confusing matter! thanks in advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:20 am

User avatar Its true. Each woman is individual and averages take into consideration those with shorter and those with longer cycles and phases. Ovulation does typically occur exactly on day 14 - this is just the median based on a "typical" cycle. It is estimated only about 20% of women actually ovulate on that day and the day of ovulation is what is significant in conception attempts. In most women that will be between day 11 and day 21. This also explains why an "estimated due date" is just that - estimated. We don't know exactly when conception occurred in most cases.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here