Question: Drug use and sperm- should we postpone trying to conceive?

JadeOZ - Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm

hi, my husband and i have used cocaine (occasionally) in the past. as we decided to try for a baby, we stopped over 6mths ago, especially as we read that cocaine can bind to sperm and the sperm currently ejaculated was produced 3 months ago. last night my husband used cocaine. will the sperm that comes out now be affected or only the sperm in 3 months time? should we hold off trying for another 3 months?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:52 pm

There is no way to know if the sperm will be affected. Of course avoiding drug use is the safest course, there is no definite period of time we can determine to be completely safe. On the other hand, most of the time the sperm is not affected and normal conception and pregnancy occurs in spite of this. It's luck of the draw.

It is possible to have trouble conceiving due to the cocaine's effect on sperm motility and fertilization. It is also possible it could result in miscarriage. Again, there is no way to predict and I am not aware of any known safe period after use of such narcotics.

Even more concerning for me would be taking on the responsibility of fatherhood while having a substance abuse problem. The longer-term consequences are more likely to be a problem than the actual conception.

|