Question: White spot in fetal stomach in ultrasound

NewPapaMama - Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Dear Doctor,

I'm 39 & my wife is 33 yrs old. We're now expecting our 1st baby who is now 21 weeks in pregnancy.

We have done test on Down's Syd twice(at different stage) already and was told by our Gyne that the tests were all negative which meant our baby should be fine.

Just two days ago, we had the Ultrasound scan done for the fetal structural and was told by the Dr(different from our usual Gyne) that there is a "white" spot showing on the ultrasound in the baby's stomach and thus referring us to another specialist.

When she scanned the "white" spot, she did ask if my wife has any spotting/bleeding during the pregnancy. Yes, my wife did have some spotting during her 13 weeks and it had lasted for about 2 weeks. We had that checked by our Gyne during that time and had it treated. The spotting/bleeding stopped and another Ultrasound showed her bleeding was indeed healed.

Pls kindly help answer us what are the risks/complications in the "white" spots and what we should be aware of and our next steps to seek?

Thank you very much.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 pm

By 'white spots', you are presumably referring to 'hyper-echoic' spots seen during ultrasonographic imaging.

The abdomen is a common site for congenital anomalies in the fetal. Fetal abdominal echogenic lesions are fairly common, and a majority of them carry minimal or no additional risk to the fetus.

Some of the important ones are...

- extralobar pulmonary sequestration (Intra-Abdominal Pulmonary Sequestration),

- abdominal calcifications,

- noncalcified liver lesions,

- echogenic bowel (Echogenic bowel in the third trimester is relatively common with an uncertain clinical significance.
Some considere it a normal variant in second-trimester fetuses. Others have described it as a prenatal marker for cystic fibrosis, chromosomal aneuploidy etc),

- gastric pseudomass (are echogenic masses within the fetal gastric lumen- cause unclear ? debris,? intra-amniotic bleeding.generally appear in the second trimester & disappear on follow-up),

- duplication cysts of the gut,

- Fetus-in-fetu (FIF) (a rare congenital disorder in which a vertebrate fetus is found incorporated within its twin),

- calcified meconium and

- lesions of the adrenals.

Detection of such lesions generally leads to a detailed search for additional findings and a review of the maternal history.Fetal karyotyping may be indicated in some cases.

Hope this info may be of use to you. Good luck!

|