News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Baby gender

alicehm - Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:16 am

I have 3 boys and my husband and I really want a baby girl. We have been thinking to concieve by next year. Is there any way of conceiving a girl, I have read so many stories and I don't know what to believe. Also I been looking at the ovuation center and it tells me to concieve at least 5 days before ovulating, is this true?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 am

User avatar Hello,
I understand your desire for a girl, but the only sure way to guarantee this is with selective in vitro fertilization where the situation is controlled - very expensive high tech stuff!

It is not possible to conceive prior to ovulation. Perhaps you mean that you should have sex during the five days prior to ovulation. This would be correct because we can't be 100% sure of the exact day of ovulation, though tests can show pretty well. Sperm can live for a time in the woman's body so having sex before ovulation can assure a supply of sperm available for the egg once it is released. It is usually recommended that you have intercourse every other day during the fertile period, if possible. That will increase your likelihood of pregnancy, not gender specific. Most experts also recommend you lie in bed for about five minutes after having sex to help gravity - prevent loss of sperm by running to the bathroom before it gets a chance to make the trip to the egg.

Girl babies can tolerate a more acidic environment than boys, typically, so some people advocate eating a more acidic diet when trying to conceive a girl. This can be complicated, however, as you try to determine pH of foods you eat. You might check the library for Ashley Spencer's book, How to Choose the Gender of Your Baby or Dr. Landrum Shettles' How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby. But, keep in mind, there are no guarantees - just some hints for what might help swing the pendulum your way.

Here are some tips for trying to conceive a girl according to "experts" (or old wives?).

Foods to eat include chocolate, other sweets, fresh vegetables, and fish. For sex, try having it in the afternoon, rather than at night. Some believe the woman having orgasm first helps and her initiating is believed to also help the cause for a girl. Legend also has it that even days of the month help. I don't know about that but if you're doing the "every other day thing" why not? If you want to explore all the possible ideas, have sex during the full moon and use the Chinese Gender Chart to help you decide when to conceive.

Any time you plan for pregnancy, you must be prepared for either gender and if anyone promises you anything else, it is a hoax.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here