News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Microscopic Blood in Urine (20 weeks)

baby_Iraq - Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 am

I am 20 weeks pregnant and I don't feel my Dr is on my health very well. I was bleeding at 9 weeks because of Chlamydia. and was treated and recieved my Rhogam. I also have had a UTI once and got treated. My Dr (which wasnt my Dr was another Dr at the same clinic) told me there was blood in my Urine, but that they werent going to do anything that if it was still there when I went back in three weeks they would check again. This seems a little. . . dissmissive. I have only had the one Pap Smear during my Pregnancy. at my last three visits they did nothing but take my urine and listen for the heart beat. They never told me about my UTI I went to the ER 3 days after my visit last month and found out I had one. I've had alot of discomfort. And stress. My husband leaves for Iraq friday. I'm in the process of moving. I've been doing alot of lifting and helping moving, and carrying my daughter (1 yr and 10 mon, 37LBs) and I get dizzy alot and see spots but never quite faint. And have been having sever headaches but they havent said anything about my blood pressure being anything different than its normal. 105/70. I've gained 10 lbs since my last drs visit where i hadnt gained any in all my other visits.
I'm just trying to be thurough and state things that may be irrelevant to me but could make sense of my situation for the person answering me.
My questions are.
Should I find a new Dr?
Should I go to the ER and make sure I and the baby are okay?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is difficult to advise you without knowing all the details about the lab work and physical findings, but microscopic blood in urine is not necessarily related to infection and has not been found to be an indicator of adverse pregnancy outcomes. If there was infection it should be treated but otherwise you don't need to worry and sometimes the test shows a false positive. Watching for additional symptoms and follow up testing would be advisable in most cases. It is possible there was no infection at that point, even though you developed one later.

If you are feeling uneasy about the care you receive you should seek another opinion and you can change doctors at any time (unless you have a health plan that does not allow it without a referral from a primary care physician, for example). It is important for you to have a trusting relationship with your provider and you should be comfortable asking any questions you have.

I would not recommend the ER for baby's health if you have other alternatives. Aside from checking for a heart rate, the ER is somewhat limited in their ability to analyze your pregnancy concerns, you will incur needless expense and probably have to wait a while to be seen. Also by the time you are halfway through your pregnancy, most hospitals and doctors advise you to go to the labor and delivery unit of the hospital directly, rather than going through the ER. If you do not get satisfaction from your doctor's office, you can go to the unit directly and explain your concern to the nurses there. Earlier in pregnancy the ER is used in cases such as miscarriage where the baby's survival is not possible outside the womb.

If you wish to change doctors, or even to see a certified nurse midwife, you should make an appointment right away and explain to the staff your stage of pregnancy and desire to find a new provider so you can be seen as soon as possible. Take a list of your concerns with you so you won't forget anything.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here