News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Gardnerella not going away

courtney3o6 - Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:01 pm

This past summer, I had a pap smear with abnormal results. I had been experiencing itching and a strange odor in my vagina for quite some time and discussed this with my doctor when I went in for a colposcopy. He diagnosed me with a yeast infection and gave me an antibiotic. About a month later, the itching still wasn't going away, so I called my doctor again. I went in for another pap smear and he diagnosed me with another yeast infection and Gardnerella. I took a double dosage of the antibiotic for the yeast infection and one dosage of Metronidazole for the Gardnerella (second week of October). About a month later, I was experiencing symptoms of Garnderella again and he once again prescribed Metronidazole. I finished the prescription about a week ago and am now experiencing some itching, along with slight pain and a burning sensation. Is the Gardnerella still not gone or could this be a side effect of the antibiotic? Do I need to call my doctor? He gave me one refill for the Metronidazole, but I am afraid to take the antibiotic too many times.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:38 am

User avatar Hello,
The pH balance of your vagina is a delicate blend of bacteria and yeast which varies and is altered by both infection and antibiotics. Antibiotic use often results in yeast infection because the good bacteria that controls the yeast is destroyed along with the bad stuff. So, a cycle such as you describe is actually quite common. You may need to continue treatment for a longer period of time and consider adding something to help alter the pH, such as acidophilus (a probiotic). Some people also advocate using yogurt which contain live and active cultures (not the standard grocery-store variety).

You should abstain from sex during the week of treatment - if you did not, you could be passing this infection back and forth. Also, some people recommend a betadine douche but not within three days of seeing your doctor as this can alter the state, making diagnosis more difficult. You should never douche just prior to a pelvic exam.

Discuss this ongoing symptom with your doctor because it can require several courses of treatment to totally correct this problem.

Good luck with this frustrating problem.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here