News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Folic Acid and HPV

caramel87 - Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:12 pm

I was just recently diagnosed with LSIL and HPV. My doctor prescribed Folic Acid (1mg/day). A biopsy was done and came back negative but still positive for HPV. I've read that this is a vitamin, so can it can help me and do I need some other sort of treatment? Will HPV clear on its own? Is there anything else I can do since I would like to have children in the future (I'm in my early 20's)?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:49 am

User avatar Hello,
You should discuss the recommendation with your doctor. There is no cure for HPV but sometimes treatment is done including removal of warts if they are present, but they may disappear on their own if untreated. Other than that, it is important to have regular follow-up visits with your doctor since HPV can be a precursor to cancer. Regular pap tests are important because early treatment of cancer is associated with the best success.

Folic acid use is recommended for all women, especially those who are sexually active because it can prevent birth defects if adequate stores are present at the time of conception. Your doctor may just be recommending overall good health plans for future concerns. A multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate or folic acid will accomplish the same objective. If your doctor has other reasons for prescribing this, you will have to ask to find out the intent.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here