News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Yeast infection and Nutrition- will it come back?

aviva212 - Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi... I received the diagnosis that I have a yeast infection, and was perscribed diflucan. But at the same time I had a bronchial infection- green phlegm, annoying cough, no sore throat- and was perscribed the z-pac. Figured out that they counteracted each other, so I started using the Monistat 3 day treatment... Definitely eliminating it and I have no discomfort right now.... My diet normally consists of a lot of potatoes, oranges, bananas, chicken, tortilla chips, broccoli, aspargus, onions, hummus, a lot of peanut butter, alcohol 3 times a week and some bread...So other action I am taking is ONLY eating spinach, broccoli, onions, chicken, garlic, and plain yogurt since yesterday-Sunday, dec6- until Thursday- dec 10... (no alcohol since tuesday dec 1) But on dec 10, I will be leaving for Jamaica, where I will definitely be drinking alcohol and eating all kinds of things- brea, fruit, and potatoes included... Am i hurting myself by restricting myself to these foods during these next few days... I feel no discomfort/itching now ( took the diflucan on thursday, used leftover miconazole insert on saturday, used 1st miconazole insert last night, and the medication will be done by wednesday morning... )If I maintain this diet for the next few days, will my yeast infection come back bc of the alcohol I'll be drinking and fruit that i will be eating?? Also, I havent had sex since last sunday, will the infection come back if i have sex thursday?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
Short-term dietary restrictions are not usually harmful at all and with good choices such as vegetables and chicken I would not be concerned. Keep in mind that not all yogurt is made with active cultures - the part that helps control yeast infections. Be sure you choose one that does. Alcohol is not your best choice but once it is in control and without antibiotics your vaginal flora should return to normal. For your trip it might be wise to pack treatment in case the symptoms return. There is no way to predict if you will get this again but you have done everything right so far.

Enjoy your trip and best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here