Question: Opiate addiction

JenBcute - Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi, my name is Jennifer and I just found out that I'm about 7 weeks pregnant. I have had an opiate addiction for years and I have been trying to ween myself off but I'm having a hard time. I've been to a rehab facility which didn't really help, I went through serious withdrawals and even months later could not sleep at all without tylenol pm. When I was pregnant last year (miscarried) they said that I shouldn't get off them cold turkey or I would probably lose the baby so I should wait until I was in the third trimester. A friend of mine with opiate addiction took 1 suboxone in pieces over 3 days and didn't have any withdrawals and hasn't taken any opiates since. Will this be safe for me to take with the baby?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:45 pm

It is no riskier than the addiction and if it helps you get off the opiates, it is much better than continuing as yo have. We know that the use of opiates throughout the pregnancy is not good and your only other alternatives are 1) cold-turkey, which does come with risks as you have mentioned and 2) using methadone or suboxone. So, given the alternatives, this is your best choice. Talk to your doctor about it.

Good luck with this. Hopefully the needs of the baby will help you overcome the habit. Sometimes you need something like this to help you get the perspective you need.

|