Question: Adnexal Cyst and Free fluid in pelvis

Maggie Sunshine - Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello.
I am a 23 year old student, who rescently got this news from my doctor.
After having had an ultrasound for adbominal pain on my right side, the results came back saying i have a "small left adnexal cyst measuring 3.7 x 1.8cm"
It also said that i have "a small amount of free fluid in my pelvis".
Now i have a Gyno appointment in january, but i am wondering, is there anything to be worried about? Is there something that i should ask my doctor for, like a specific procedure.......can it be cancer??

I am a little nervous.

p.s:what exactly does an adnexal cyst mean? i am not familiar with medical terms.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Sunshine
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:00 pm

"Adnexal" means it is related to the ovary and "cyst" describes the type of mass that was identified - a cyst is like a container that may hold fluid.

Many adnexal masses do not have symptoms, are small, and simple cystic masses. Because most of these disappear spontaneously, you should not overreact. In your age range, these are usually benign. Every month the ovary produces cysts and sometimes you may have rupture. This could be the reason for the free fluid in the pelvis. As the cycle progresses, most of the time the cysts resolve on their own so usually the doctor wants to follow up an initial report of a mass with a later exam to see if it is still present.

Then the doctor must decide based on other factors such as age and menstrual patterns if it is likely to be pathological (illness-causing) or not before doing anything invasive such as surgery. If it is determined that there is cause for concern about malignancy, the doctor will make a plan for treatment.

I'm sorry I can't predict the outcome exactly but based on the limited information it is not likely cancer. You still need to follow up to be certain.

|