Question: Fluids leaking from vagina..possible pregnancy?

Rose86 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 pm

I had not had sex for almost two years when I met my bf now, I am 23. We have been together for almost a month now and started having sex a few days after we were official. Well, on the 28th of last month (November), we were having sex and it seemed he kept pushing on my cervix and it hurt. Afterward, I went to the bathroom and noticed a bit of blood, as did he on the condom. I started what I am thinking was my period, it lasted 7 days and was extremely lite, which is unusual. It was about 4-5 days before I was supposed to start my normal period, too. Now, since the "period" has stopped, I have been leaking basically clear fluid from my vagina. Like I will be laying down and I will go to get up and feel it running down my leg. I have to use panty liners now because there is a lot of it. We have had unprotected sex a few times (stupid)..and one time especially was completely unprotected..to the point of where I think I could have gotten pregnant then. Could I be pregnant or is this just bad news? I do not use birth control pills anymore either, as it caused more bad than good. If I were to be pregnant I am okay with it and feel I am of good age to do so. I just don't understand whats been going on. This has never happened to me before. My boyfriend has been checked out and has come back clean, as have I when I was tested about 2 years ago after my last boyfriend.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Vaginal secretions vary with women and are related to hormones. Fluid leakage is not an early pregnancy symptom, however. Of course you could have become pregnant but it would be unrelated to the leaking, I'm quite sure. The only way you can be sure you are pregnant or not is take a home pregnancy test or blood test at a clinic if you miss your next period. If you conceived prior to the last period (at the time you noticed the blood) I would be surprised since a week-long period sounds normal, even if it was light for you. Any slight bleeding women sometimes experience in pregnancy due to implantation is usually very scanty - pink or brownish and it does not happen immediately after sex, but would be about a week after ovulation (a week or two before your next period is due). I suspect your bleeding was due to a little tissue trauma or just the beginning of your period which coincided with sex.

If you continued to have unprotected sex during your fertile stage since that last period, you could have conceived then. Again, taking a home test is the best plan.

If you are sexually active, you should be taking a daily multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg because it has been shown to reduce birth defects but must be there at the time of conception to be most effective. I would also encourage a preconception visit with your healthcare provider where you could discuss your plans, readiness, overall health, and birth control, should you choose that route.I would caution you that a new relationship, complete with the euphoria hormones that are present may not be the best time to start a family. Give it time to see if things work out in the long run - after the infatuation period. Your chances for happiness are much greater this way.

|