News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: what is the small pink item hanging from my vagina?

vitti - Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm

there is a small pink thing hanging from my vagina. i noticed it made a small swollen hoop after loosing my virginity. then it tore? after my second time having sex. (the 2nd time was not with the same partner maybe about a month later). it did not tear immediatly maybe the nxt day. the tip from which was bleeding a little bit. (because of the tear) now the pink thing just hangs there, dangling. what is it? it is pushed back inside during sex. but after a while falls out again. i have become self contious and not sure if my boyfriend knows it exist. is it normal? are there other females with the same issue?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
Only your health care provider, on examination, can properly diagnose this but I suspect it may be a vaginal skin tag or vaginal cyst. A tag is a benign growth of skin. It is harmless but can become irritated because of friction. If it bothers you it can be removed with freezing or minor surgery but this is simply cosmetic.

A cyst is also typically harmless. Sometimes a Gartner cyst enlarges enough to poke through the vaginal opening. There are other cysts as well, such as bartholin gland cysts.

Again, see your doctor for an accurate diagnosis and treatment if it causes discomfort. Discussing it at a routine visit would be fine.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here