News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: long takes to the sperm to rich the falopian tubes?

romy - Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 am

Hi I'm trying to get pregnant after a miscarriage, with no success.
I wanted to know how long takes to the sperm to rich the falopian tubes? how long should I stay lay down after intercourse to let sperm succesfully rich the falopian tubes? Will sperm fall down if I stand up soon after?

My second question is since 2 month ago and after the miscarriage around ovulation time I feel my exterior stomch skin burns, why is that? It burn to the touch.

thanks I really appreciatte any help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Babymaking is a numbers game so you must be patient. Even if you do everything according to the fertility advice, you only have about a 25-30% chance of conceiving in any cycle. It is considered normal for it to take up to a year (sometimes longer) to become pregnant while you are "trying." Of course in some women it works the first month, but this is not typical.

To improve your chances, have intercourse often during your fertile period (the five days leading up to ovulation). Daily or every other day is good rate and if you continue to lie down for about 5 minutes after having sex, this will help reduce the effects of gravity. Sperm travel quickly and can live inside a woman for up to 3 days and the woman's fertile cervical mucus present in the few days leading up to ovulation creates the perfect environment. This gives a small window of opportunity but with millions of sperm present, it can happen at any time during that period so having sex a day or two prior to ovulation is ideal.

Avoid artificial lubricants, vegetable oils, and glycerin, douching and vaginal sprays which could affect the pH of the vagina. Try to keep sex fun and spontaneous - not a chore. This helps the emotional climate.

Don't forget to take a daily multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg NOW. Avoid bad habits such as smoking, alcohol and drugs and eat sensibly to increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy and reduce the risk of birth defects, premature birth and miscarriage.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here