Question: Possible to Switch to Pill after Implanon Removal

tobycat88 - Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

I have had Implanon inserted almost three weeks ago. I had it inserted the second day of my cycle, but I have not stopped bleeding since. I know the side effects are prolonged bleeding were there, but I was not informed that I would have such terrible mood swings. I have thick hair and would lose some naturally every day, but now it seems like it's coming out so much easier now. I don't know if that is because of the Implanon or not. But one of the major reasons why I want Implanon removed is that it is interfering with my sex life. My boyfriend and I cannot have sex because I am constantly bleeding. No wonder it is 99% effective, we can't have sex. This is where my question comes in, is it possible for me to switch to the birth control pill, which will regulate my period, directly after the removal of implanon? Do I have to wait until my next cycle? I cannot wait to have this removed. Or, another question, is there anything that will stop the prolonged bleeding?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 am

You should start oral contraceptives immediately on removal of the Implanon. If there is a gap between you should use a back up method for the first two weeks after starting birth control pills. If you start them immediately you would not need to have a back up.

This may well be the answer for you. Good luck.

|