Question: Vaginal Problems

kimberly629 - Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:44 pm

I am 28 years old, overweight and a smoker,,,I have had three kids. With the first and last child, i had severe bleeding out after they were delivered, in which in both cases i had to be worked on for some time before the bleeding slowed. The last time was in sept of 2003. I had severe bleeding out, so severe that after i was worked on for some time, i was rushed to surgery for an emergency hysterectomey. By the time we got to the OR, and i was being prepped, it had slowed somewhat, so the dr. decided to work on me some more, instead of a hysterectomey. I decided to get tubal based on the fact that i might bleed to death if i tried to have another child. But since that time i have irregular and extremely heavy and painful periods. So much so that i cannot leave my home for the first few days. Sometimes sex is painful and sometimes i cannot feel anything. I feel very very loose. I have done kegels constantly and it does not help. I also have no desire for sex most of the time. I have also tried the pill (different kinds) to help with the periods. They all give me severe depression. I don't know what else to do.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:42 am

Evaluating abnormal uterine bleeding after excluding pregnancy requires the exclusion medications known to cause abnormal uterine bleeding, iatrogenic causes, obvious genital tract pathology, and systemic conditions.[1] Once all these causes are excluded it can be presumed that you have dysfunctional uterine bleeding.

Any medicine or herbal product known to cause abnormal uterine bleeding must be excluded. These include anticoagulation therapy, contraceptive use such as an intrauterine device, Levonorgestrel implant (Norplant System), Medroxyprogesterone contraceptive injection (Depo-Provera), oral contraceptives in addition to hormone replacement therapy and psychotropic agents.[1]

The presence of systemic diseases such as cirrhosis, coagulation disorder or hypothyroidism is known to cause abnormal uterine bleeding.[1]

I recommend that you discuss these possibilities with your doctor.

References:
==========
1. Brenner PF. Differential diagnosis of abnormal uterine bleeding. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(3 Pt 2):766-9.

|