News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Brethine

Andreamb851 - Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:40 pm

I was out of town seeing my mom and went inton labor. I was given Brethine to stop labor. And since my doctor here gave me a drug test.And it show's that I failed and tested pos for Amphetamines. Which I don't do drugs. I asked my dr here if that could be why I falied and she told me she didn't know. I need Help with this and don't know what to do. I asked for a blood drug test and they haven't gave me one yet. I do not want this in my records at all. Could brethine be the reason I failed the drug test? Andrea
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:28 am

User avatar Hi Adreamb851,
Brethine is classified as a sympathomimetic drug. Both amphetamines and methamphetimines are sympathomimetic agents. So this is very possible for the drug test to be positive if you were tested from 2-7 hours to approximately 2-4 days (which is the expected drug clearance time for urine) of receiving the medication brethine. Drugs of abuse tested by blood, urine, or saliva can only detect whether or not a specific drug is present at the time of the test performance. If you tested positive in the time frame mentioned, obtain your record of receiving the brethine and if the positive drug screen can't be removed from your record it can at least be noted that you received this particular drug and is likely the cause. I hope this information is helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here