Question: Brethine

Andreamb851 - Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:40 pm

I was out of town seeing my mom and went inton labor. I was given Brethine to stop labor. And since my doctor here gave me a drug test.And it show's that I failed and tested pos for Amphetamines. Which I don't do drugs. I asked my dr here if that could be why I falied and she told me she didn't know. I need Help with this and don't know what to do. I asked for a blood drug test and they haven't gave me one yet. I do not want this in my records at all. Could brethine be the reason I failed the drug test? Andrea
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:28 am

User avatar Hi Adreamb851,
Brethine is classified as a sympathomimetic drug. Both amphetamines and methamphetimines are sympathomimetic agents. So this is very possible for the drug test to be positive if you were tested from 2-7 hours to approximately 2-4 days (which is the expected drug clearance time for urine) of receiving the medication brethine. Drugs of abuse tested by blood, urine, or saliva can only detect whether or not a specific drug is present at the time of the test performance. If you tested positive in the time frame mentioned, obtain your record of receiving the brethine and if the positive drug screen can't be removed from your record it can at least be noted that you received this particular drug and is likely the cause. I hope this information is helpful.

|