Question: Ovarian Pain after Ectopic Pregnancy

bentley1014 - Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 am

I had an ectopic pregnancy in January 2009. I was diagnosed early and the doctor successfully treated me with methotrexate. My pregnancy was not in my fallopian tube like the majority of ectopics, but it was attached to my right ovary. After the methotrexate they did a blood test every week and after one month my hcg levels were at zero. Ever since this happened, I have a pain on my right side near my ovary. I have had exams and two ultrasounds (both internal and external). Everything appears normal on the ultrasound, yet I still have this pain. It is a mild pain and I do not have it all of the time. I get it sporatically through the month. I notice the pain more when I have a full bladder. It sometimes feels like a pulling feeling. Since all of the tests come back fine my doctor no longer seems concerned. I have had it for ten months! Also, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnany again since March and have had no success so far. Could this be related? Any suggestions or ideas of what this pain can be from?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 pm

It sounds like you have covered your bases and the doctor is also baffled. It is possible it is related to ureters or something besides the ovary and tube. I don't think there is any connection with your inability to conceive so far. Since you have two ovaries, even if one was not functioning, you typically release an egg from alternating ovaries each month so your chances are still pretty good. However, it is considered normal for it to take a year to achieve pregnancy when actively trying. It is a complicated process and everything has to fit in just right - timing of ovulation, intercourse and ability of the embryo to implant.

Good luck in your efforts and try to be patient.

|